S.V.K.N.C.E - Library and Information Center
The college library came into existence in 1963. In the midst of its excellent setup of academic activities. The college library acts as a nerve center catering to the needs of the students, researchers and faculty members of the education and management and other humanities departments. The B.Ed library has been shaped as a centre of excellence for academic and research pursuits, keeping it open to the changes brought about by information Technology.
To fulfill the vision and Mission of our institution, beautiful library was established with initial collection of 300 books and now it is rich with more than 19137 books .To broaden and enrich the students’ quality in gaining relevant knowledge, our library is providing more than 13 regional and national journals in specific areas. To support in gaining specific services in the library, we have 02 different levels of trained and interested staff.
The college library provides facility to KSOU B.Ed students. It also provide facility to M.Ed course and PhD course candidates. The library facility is open to the public also.
- To build up a comprehensive and up to date need based collection of books, journals and other non-book materials like CD’s etc in the disciplines taught and found in our college
- To organize the conventional and non-conventional information sources in the systematic manner in order to provide efficient and prompt services to the end users.
- To dissimilate information by issuing documentation lists and other Current Awareness Services for the benefit of teachers, researchers and students to keep them updated with the latest developments in their areas of their interest.
- To support the academic programmes offered and curriculum requirements of the users.
- To promote the reading habits of students and faculty of the college.
- To support the educational, co-curricular activities of the college.
- To enter in to an arena of Information Communication Technology using Computer applications for quick and speedy information storage and retrieval.
- To join resources sharing activities of UGC through Network resource centers. The Library Resources are as Follows
The Library Resources are as Follows
|Type of Documents
This type of membership is open to all the students who got their admission to B.Ed, course in our college.
This type of membership is open to all the permanent and guest faculty of the college
Research scholar Membership
This type of membership is open to the research scholars who registered for Ph. D.,
The Library facilities are also made available to the administrative staff of the college. So that they can make use of general books and general magazines of the library.
The members of the National Education Society may also avail the library facility.
Facilities and Services
Document delivery service is being provided for the user community to disseminate right information at right time to right user for right purpose. The users of the B. Ed library can borrow books for a period of 15 days. Two borrower’s tickets are issued to students and for Non - teaching staff and one can borrow four books at a time. Fifteen borrower’s tickets are issued to the Faculty and Research Scholars to borrow the books from the library and return the same after the period of 15 days. Users are informed to return / renew the borrowed books on or before due date to prevent the penalty of overdue charges. Special library services are provided to the meritorious students of the college.
SC / ST Book Bank Facility
The student who belongs to SC / ST and Other Economically Weaker can avail SC / ST book bank facility. Sufficient number of text books are issued to each student for a period of one academic year in the concerned subjects.
Online Public Access Catalogue facility is being offered to the user community of the college in order to provide first hand information about the availability and location of the reading materials. Users can reserve the required reading material and the same is issued on queue basis system. New arrivals Display.
Some selected titles of new books acquired by the library are displayed on “New Arrival Stand” for the benefit of the readers. Bulletin board/ Wall Magazine (C A S)
The Library is extending reference and referral services to the users of the library. Most of the reference oriented Text books and General books have been kept in reference and active stock area for reference only by the users of the library.
In order to create an awareness among the fresh students of the B.Ed. about the proper utilization of the library and its resources and services; to give first hand information about the library and to provide them a closer acquaintance and more familiarity about various aspects of the library system, the Librarian provides the information in the Library Orientation Programme. This programme is an educative and informative and also bridges the gap between the library staff and user clients.
This Programme educates users about the physical arrangement and organization of the collection, its functions and services both traditional and modern services like CD-ROM, INTERNET. This programme helps the user community to utilize the available resources, services and facility to the maximum extent.
This service helps the users to collect the entire information easily about their related topic within short span of time. User community of the Library especially the students can avail this facility. Users can browse CDs related to their subjects which gives the bibliographical information along with abstracts of journal articles, seminar papers, conference proceedings, book reviews, etc..
Sections and Activities
SVK National college of Education provides both traditional and modern services.
- Acquisition Section
- Technical Processing Section
- Active Stock Area
- Circulation Section
- Reference and Documentation Section
- Periodical Section
The Library conducts periodically the following user oriented professional activities:
- Document Delivery and Routine Library Housekeeping Activities
- Acquisition and Processing of reading materials
- Display of New Arrivals to Library
- Current Awareness Service
- User Awareness / Education Programme
- Orientation Programme to Fresh Students
- Display of Books on Important dates
Arrangement of Books
The information retrieval system presupposes the organization of information in a systematic and helpful order to facilitate rapid recall of any specific bit of information pin pointedly, exhaustively and expeditiously.
The library will be kept open from 10.00 am to 5.30 pm in all the working days, where as it functions from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm on Saturday.
Computerized library catalogue
The library catalogue serves as a key to the collection of the library and an index to subjects. This helps the readers to know what books are available in the library with the computer application to the library operations in the following manner
a)by given author,
b)by a given subject,
c)by a given title etc.,
The database of books is prepared and bar coded according to “e-lib Software”. The users can search the computerized database OPAC or the traditional catalogue cards arranged subject wise/ author wise to know what information sources are available in the library on the areas of their interest.
Section in Library
- Circulation Counter
- Online public Access Catalogue
- Active Stock Area
- Acquisition Section
- Digital Library
- Librarian Chamber
- Reference Section
- Periodical Section
- Reading Room Section
- Bound volume Section
Library – Rules
- Books and bound periodicals which have been issued out are liable to be recalled at any time, when so recalled they must be returned to the Library within the specified time.
- Readers shall not write upon, damage, or make any mark upon any book, manuscript, or map belonging to the library.
- Erase of any mark of stamp, label etc. on a book or manuscript of map belonging to the Library will be considered as misconduct and justification/fine will be charged.
- Any reader observing a defect, or damage to any book or manuscript shall point out the same to the Library Staff immediately.
- A borrower shall be responsible for the safe custody and return of a publication issued to him. In the event of its being lost or damaged he/she will have to reimburse the cost/replace the documents as per the rules.
- Overdue charges will be laid on borrowed books and other reading materials as per the rules, if returned after the due date
- No personal belongings including books are allowed inside the library.
- Keep your personal belonging such as bags, books at the property counter. Not to keep any valuables such as cash, mobile phones, ATM cards etc in the counter. Library or its staff are not responsible for loss of any valuables.
- Library Catalogue (OPAC) kept at the entrance of the library need to be used before making entry to the stock area to select book of your interest.
- Mobile phones need to be switched off or kept in the silent mode before making entry to the library/reading hall. Talking over mobile inside the library/reading hall is strictly prohibited.
- Maintain silence in the library.